Saturday, October 16, 2010

The Bride Backfire (Prairie Promises #2) by Kelly Eileen Hake


After a bit of encouragement from a friend I decided to continue in this series and boy howdy, am I glad I did! I loved this story and can't wait to get to #3. Thanks to Net Galley for my digital edition for this review. I grew up in Kentucky all around the Hatfield and McCoy Feud stories but this one takes the cake. Opal Speck and Adam Grogan try to be each family's peacemaker in the Speck-Grogan feud that has gone on for generations. Each one struggles inwardly to have faith that God is stronger, even when on the wrong side of a gun, so to speak. These two have grown up with all the angst and danger of the feud and numerous digs from each side to fuel the flame for all their years, so they trust no one. The entire town distances themselves-even at church. So when Opal and Adam show up at church having been 'privately' married just days before, the whole town is knocked off kilter. Is the feud over? Has it begun anew? Why did they get married?
Well, you'll just have to read it to find out. It's another I-couldn't-put-it-down-even-at-2am-and-then-hit-it-again-for-breakfast book. And the heat factor!!! Where's my fan...The sexual tension starts in chapter two for Pete's sake and ends with the last sentence in the book, my word! Which, by the way, is the most irritating way to end a book-just when the two characters....well, I don't want to be accused of putting in a spoiler. Suffice it to say I wanted one more chapter-the tidy bow on this gift. 
I commented on The Bride Bargain's cover not being to my liking in that book's review. This one's cover at least made sense to me and I liked the picture of the dugout but the rendering of Opal is lacking somehow, just as the one of Clara is on The Bride Bargain. Just sayin', you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment