Saturday, September 4, 2010

Wrangler in Petticoats (Sophie's Daughters #2) by Mary Connealy


Well, this guy is an odd hero(Logan) for this time period for sure....but there were artists and female wranglers in the 1880s, so how great an idea for a book!
Sally is on her way to be with her sister Mandy whose 3rd baby is due. They've not seen each other in about 3 years since Mandy married her no-account husband. Without giving out a spoiler, Sally ends up in Logan's life, like it or not. He's a  no-account who thinks 'quick draw' means 'sketch a drawing quickly,' not 'save your hide with a gun'. He's obviously a city boy and will die out here in the wilderness soon because what he carries all the time is......a pencil.If that isn't funny beginning to a book, what is?
As always Mary Connealy tells a few stories at a time in one book which I love. I know the entire McClellan family as if they live around the bend from me.
To tell you a bit about how Sally and Logan communicate see this, Logan says:
“More beautiful than the mountains and waterfalls and soaring eagles.” The moment eased a bit when Sally’s smile stretched wide. “I’m prettier than jagged high-up hills; running water; and a hook-nosed, bald bird?” The smile turned to a laugh. “ I reckon you think that’s flattery, don’t you?”
And her sister Mandy thinks very similarly when Sidney (her husband) says:
"I respect who you are, but that doesn't mean you can't learn more womanly manners." Better manners? Maybe she'd say "please" when she took the butt of her gun to his head. And "thank you" after he passes out on the floor.
I"m laughing out loud even as I type this. What's the killer here is that Sharpshooter in Petticoats doesn't come out until 2011. I have no idea how I will get my Mary Connealy fix until then......Somebody rescue me, preferably on a horse, wearing a Stetson and a duster.....thank you very much.

No comments:

Post a Comment