Saturday, August 21, 2010

Pearl In The Sand by Tessa Afshar



OMGoodness! My new favorite book! I loved this fictional historical bio on Rahab. What's left to say? Well, a lot. It has all the elements of a good story in my mind-great depth, heat, and God(not necessarily in that order mind you). Tessa, if you see this little blog of mine, I just can't say enough about how you brought a Bible character to life for me. We all well know the story of how 'Joshua Fi't the Battle at Jericho' and Rahab's part in the story but the rest is up to our imaginations. We usually don't spend enough time on the 'little characters' that are in such a big story but by writing this book, you've expounded on the 'not so little' choices she had to make and her part in the big picture. You made her real. Rahab is my new hero. I needed a hero this week too.
It starts out with the probable situation in which Rahab finds herself--needing to help support the family--and a possible theory on how she became a prostitute. A young Rahab is forced into prostitution by necessity-she didn't know God at this point. She faces so many choices along the way and her strength is what strikes me most. This book makes me view the choices I have today in a different light. Am I taking the 'road less travelled' or the seemingly easier one? Her very real fears are put on paper for me to see that God can handle it all. This is the best inspirational book I've read in a long time!!
'Rahab learned to cling to God in the midst of her sorrows: to believe in the Lord more than she feared pain. For me, that is one of the most crucial components of faith. Like Rahab, I want to be a person who gives God full access to every part of my soul, even if that access sometimes hurts because it involves the demolition of my walls.' This quote from Tessa Afshar's blog says it all for me.

I certainly hope Tessa Afshar has intentions of writing more books and I can't wait!!
This book will be published September 1, 2010 by the ISBN: 9780802458810. by Moody Publishers
See http://www.tessaafshar.com/ for more.

No comments:

Post a Comment