Monday, January 17, 2011

Surrender the Night by MaryLu Tyndall

Have you ever seen a person for whom it seems that things always go against them? They're beaten down by events or people. Don't you just love it when justice is served and the character begins to lean on God? It's a passion of mine and I have spent much time with God telling Him how it should be done, too. Thankfully, He worked on me and I now have a passion for watching Him do the avenging and watching people overcome. He is sooo much better at it than I "could ask or imagine". I love a good under dog story and this is one.

The main characters in this book have been injured by others, their families and life in general, all during the War of 1812. We see a few of the characters from Surrender the Heart, the first book in the Surrender to Destiny series, which I also like. It's like catching up with an old friend. Both the Surrender to Destiny books would make great movies in my mind....if only I knew someone who could get that done, hmm. I even have actors and actresses picked out (chuckle).

Another thing I really liked about this book was the history. I love history but American history is my fave. To see people trying to carve out a life during those 'rustic' (spoken with a British air followed by a *sniff*) times without the conveniences of today gives me a much better feeling for how our forefathers felt about this country and the decisions they made. I was already a fan and very humbled by our forefathers and am more so after reading Surrender the Night, especially for the women of the time.

The adventure element of these books remind me of 'Captain Blood' with Errol Flynn for the Surrender the Heart book and 'National Treasure" with Nicholas Cage for this book. Loved it, folks. Can't say it enough.

I like reading romances that are a bit edgy and a bit spicy without revealing too much. It's a tall order, I know. I can't even begin to imagine how a writer goes about deciding on how much is too much... or too little for that matter. Also, so much of that decision must be based on the demand of the reader as it is the driving force behind sales. I say all this only to say, that I lament STN wasn't a bit spicier.

This book will be released on March 1, 2011. Look for it.
Thanks NetGalley for my ebook version but this is my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment