Saturday, November 20, 2010

The Blue Enchantress by MaryLu Tyndall

This was a fun read about an impulsive naive flirt who encounter pirates and missionaries. A strange combo to be sure...that's why I liked it. Hope Westcott finds herself on the auction block--literally, to be sold as a wife or slave, it made no difference in her eyes because she had no business being here. Things weren't supposed to be going this way. Why had God so obviously abandoned her?
Nathaniel Mason, a Christian self made shipping merchant, saw Hope on the auction block and remembered her as a conceited rich girl. Her future is dependent in his benevolence or rather God's. Nathan prays before he bids his last coin. Can he prevent her from ending up as a slave-wife? He can and does but loses half his fleet in the process. I used to say that I was born in the wrong time period but after reading this book, I am so grateful that God chose to put me in this century, where there's air conditioning, indoor plumbing, no corsets, etc. lol
I also loved the supporting cast of characters of Abigail, a grieving missionary and Captain Poole, the pirate who's seen miracles and has questions about....... this God.
I love seeing each of thevcharacters grow toward understanding of the other, how their choices are often the causes of their circumstances, and mostly, how God can intervene and make it all work for His good. There is a bits of spiritual warfare throughout, so 'heads up ' if that bothers you but it made the story more real for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment